In a draft document on British equality legislation and its implications for the Catholic Church, is included a brief but important reference to trans equality.
At the catholic transgender, Anna Magdalena comments:
On the subject of gender transition, The Catholic Bishops’ Conference of England and Wales seems encouragingly positive. A year ago they released a draft of guidelines instructing Catholics on how far to comply with England’s Equality Act 2010, which will provide increased civil protection for a number of minority groups, including transsexuals. Their document says that:
Transsexual people face many difficulties before, during and after transitioning to another gender. As such it is recommended to seek guidance on how to make the transitional process as easy as possible. This could include training for co-workers, as well as reference to medical and social advice.
The implication of this quote seems to be that Catholics in Britain are expected to fully abide by the law’s prohibition of anti-trans discrimination, and more significantly to cooperate or at least be supportive of a transgender person in the process of transitioning.
Read the full text here.
New Ways Ministry has also reported on this document, and says about it
This may be the most positive and pastoral statement about transgender people to come from the Catholic hierarchy. (If anyone knows anything equally or more positive, please let us know about it in the “Comments” section of this post.) Let’s hope that it remains in place through the drafting process.
(In fact, nobody has yet noted in the New Ways comments section any evidence of anything similarly positive, from anywhere).
- Gender Varying Faith: Our Genders – Our Stories
- British Bishops on Transsexuality (catholictrans.wordpress.com)
- What Does the Catholic Church Actually Say About Transgenderism? (catholictrans.wordpress.com)
- British Bishops Write Positively on Gender Transition and Civil Unions (newwaysministryblog.wordpress.com)
- Trans and Catholic: Miss Hilary Speaks Out (queeringthechurch.com)
- Go Trans – Figure (queeringthechurch.com)
- What is a Trans Catholic to do? (queeringthechurch.com)
- Gender, Sex and Intersex: A Primer (queeringthechurch.com)